Grampa Bill's General Authority Pages
LeGrand R. Curtis LeGrand R. (Raine) Curtis

1924 - 2010
  • Born 1924 Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Baptized as a child; Aaronic Priesthood as a youth; Melchizedek Priesthood as a young man
  • Married Patricia Glade 1944, Salt Lake Temple; eight children
  • Bishop, Stake President, Stake Patriarch, Regional Representative, Temple Sealer
  • President of Florida Talahassee Mission
  • Second Quorum of the Seventy 1990-1995
  • President of the Jordan River Temple, 1996 - 1999
  • Died 2010 Cottonwood Heights, Utah

    His relaxed, easy manner would make you immediately comfortable in his presence. Elder LeGrand Raine Curtis was the kind of man who, in his own words, “would rather wear short-sleeved shirts.” Yet, at the same time, there was an intensity, an energy about him, especially when talking about the Church. Then his attitude became anything but casual.

    The Church always played a prominent role in Elder Curtis’s life. Born on 22 May 1924 to Alexander and Genevieve Raine Curtis, he came into a family in which Church activity was the norm. “Home night,” family prayer, and weekly church attendance were an intrinsic part of life in the Curtis home in Salt Lake’s Sugarhouse area. “Everyone went to church. I simply have never doubted,” he said.

    His faith was manifested in a lifetime of steady, devoted labor in the kingdom. He decided early in life that he would never turn down a call to serve—that he would do whatever the Lord asked him to do. His service began as a branch president while he was in dental school. It continued through years of service as a bishop, stake president, regional representative (twice), member of the Young Men General Presidency, and member of the General Melchizedek Priesthood Committee, later he served as a stake patriarch and as a temple sealer—two callings he loved because they deal with people and with the Spirit.

    When called to serve as president of the Florida Tallahassee Mission, Elder Curtis gave up his thriving orthodontic practice. Later, at age sixty-five, when interviewed by a reporter frpm the Ensign about his call to the Second Quorum of the Seventy, he said, “I’m leaving it again.” But his smile conveyed more anticipation than sadness. “I’m extremely humbled by the call. We were in a comfortable rut.”

   If there is anything Elder Curtis loves to talk about more than the gospel and its effect on people, it is his wife, Patricia Glade Curtis. The two of them became acquainted as students at Irving Junior High in Salt Lake City. Their friendship continued through high school and into their freshman year at the University of Utah, when they had their first date. “We went dancing, and from then on it was just wonderful,” he says.

    World War II prevented Elder Curtis from serving a mission. He enrolled in dental school, leaving Patricia behind for a time while he participated in an army program that allowed him to continue his studies. Finally, on 1 June 1944, the two of them were married in the Salt Lake Temple, and she traveled with him thereafter. Kansas City, Missouri; Corpus Christi, Texas; Norfolk, Virginia—wherever they went, they looked up the Church and served.

    When the army discontinued its dental study program, he was released to continue his studies. In 1946, after graduating from dental school, he completed his remaining military obligation as a lieutenant and dentist in the navy.

    Home life for the Curtises became an extension of the home lives they had known as children: teaching their children the gospel, having home evening and family prayer, supporting one another in callings they never considered sacrifices but, rather, blessings. In time, Elder and Sister Curtis were blessed with eight children: Richard; Glade; LeGrand, Jr. (who would grow up to become a General Authority in his own right); Candi (Merrell); Terri (Eldredge); Sydney (Lindsley); Brent; and Rebecca (Timmins). All were married in the temple, the last two by their father.

    When asked what her husband would bring to his new calling as a General Authority Sister Curtis responded: “He has great enthusiasm for the gospel. He loves to see people improve their lives and do better. And he has a great eye for organization.”

    Elder Curtis simply said of his new calling, “I am anxious to make whatever contribution I can.”     Elder Curtis fulfilled his five-year call to serve in the Second Quorum of the Seventy with distinction and was honorably released on September 30, 1995.

    Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Sr., who served as a member of the LDS Church's Second Quorum of the Seventy, died of complications of Parkinson's disease on Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010 at 7 p.m. at an assisted living center in Cottonwood Heights. He was 86.

    Elder Curtis served in the Second Quorum of the Seventy from 1990 to 1995. He was also President of the Jordan River Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1996 to 1999.

   "News of the Church: Elder LeGrand R. Curtis...," Ensign, May 1990 (Principal source)
   Five are released after five years of Service," Church News Archives, Oct. 7, 1995
   2005 Church Almanac, p. 88

Hosted by